- Departments R - Z
- Water Utilities
- Water Quality Protection Program
- Registration for Backflow Testers
Registration for Backflow Testers
Backflow Testers must register in person at:
Jack L. May Field Operations Complex
2343 Forest Lane
Garland, Texas 75042
Testers can register Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
What to Bring
Testers must bring copies of the following:
- BPAT License
- Gauge Calibration
- Proof of Confine Space Training (minimum 8 hours of hands-on training)
- Registration Form
Fireline Testers must also bring:
- Letter of Employment
Note: Forms must be printed and filled out (forms are not fillable on-line). Please print the form, complete and bring with you when you register. Testers remain registered for a calendar year, January 1 through December 31.
Summary of Procedures Prior to Installation of Backflow Preventer
- All backflow prevention assemblies and approved testers shall be registered with Garland Water Utilities. All backflow prevention assemblies shall be nationally recognized and certified as an approved testable device.
- All backflow prevention assembly installations require compliance with the city's Building Inspection Office (a permit is required).
- All testing shall be performed by a Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) approved licensed tester who is registered with Garland Water Utilities.
- All backflow prevention assemblies shall be tested according to Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) regulations prior to the permanent activation of the plumbing system and thereafter annually.
- All backflow prevention assemblies shall have plastic or brass caps placed upon all test cocks (No Galvanized Plugs).
- All backflow prevention assembly devices that do not have the manufactures identification plate attached to the device and that do not have a legible serial number must be replaced with a new device.
- All backflow prevention assemblies are required to be registered through the Garland Water Utilities department.
- All backflow prevention assemblies shall be installed by licensed plumbers, irrigators or fire sprinkler technicians who meet the requirements of the city's current plumbing code. All backflow prevention assemblies must be tested after installation by an approved city registered tester. Test reports must be submitted to Garland Water Utilities within 10 days of the test.
- All testers must register with Garland Water Utilities. An annual, non-refundable registration fee of $100 is required (payable by check, money order, or credit card).