Automated Meter Reading (AMR)
The City of Garland has automated electric and water meters that can be read remotely using special equipment. This means that instead of meter readers walking house to house to obtain readings, these meters can be read more quickly and efficiently by walking down the street or by driving by in a vehicle.
Installing Automated Meter Reading
The eight-year process involves removing existing meters on customers' homes and replacing them with ones that can be read remotely using special equipment. This means that instead of meter readers walking house-to-house to obtain readings, the new meters can be read more quickly and efficiently by simply waking down the street or by driving by in a vehicle.
Many utilities are using Automated Meter Reading (AMR) as a way to improve customer service and control their meter reading costs, especially in areas where fenced yards, dogs, landscaping and other issues make accessing meters difficult or unsafe.
If you have other questions, please call our Meter Reading Supervisor at 972-205-2960.
- How does it work?
- Is my account information secure?
- How will I know that you have my reading and not someone else's?
- Will the radio frequency interfere with my television or phones?
- Does someone need to come into my home to change meters?
- Will I need to be home when you install the automated meter reading device?
- I had a tag on my door asking me to call to schedule an appointment. Why do I need to do that?
- Will Garland Power & Light need to turn off my service?
- How will I know the person at my door is working on this project?
- Will I still be able to view the meter reading?
- Will my water meter be replaced with an automated meter?
- How does the automated meter reading benefit customers?