The Garland Police Department’s Citizens On Patrol (C.O.P.) program is an extension of the Neighborhood Crime Watch program and provides an opportunity for citizens to take an active role in crime prevention in their neighborhood. C.O.P. members must complete a training class provided by the police department and are instructed in effective ways to patrol their neighborhood in a car, on foot, or on a bicycle. The objective of the program is to provide more eyes and ears on the streets of Garland observing and reporting crime and/or suspicious activity.
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Ability to recognize, understand, and report suspicious activity. Skill in communicating effectively with individuals.
- Capable of patrolling on foot or in a vehicle. Capable of writing a correct and legible report.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Provide own transportation and proof of auto insurance.
- Be a current member of an active Neighborhood Crime Watch Group in the City of Garland.
- Successfully complete a training program provided by the Garland Police Department.
- Must have never been convicted of a felony, and pass a criminal background check.
- Possess a valid class "C" Texas drivers license.
For more information on the Citizens On Patrol program, call Officer Pesta at 972-485-4896.