Will I need to get my home inspected?

Yes. There will be two types of inspection that will be needed. The first inspection is a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection, performed free of cost, by the Garland Housing Agency (GHA). The HQS inspection is used to determine if the current condition of the unit is decent, safe and sanitary. The GHA may, but is not required, to conduct annual housing quality standard inspections.

The second type of inspection is by an independent professional home inspector that you will hire. The purpose of this inspection is to identify home defects and assess the adequacy and life span of major systems, appliances and other structural components.

Show All Answers

1. What is the Housing Choice Voucher Home Ownership Program?
2. Who qualifies?
3. How do I know I'm ready for home ownership?
4. What is an eligible home?
5. Will you find me a home to live in?
6. Will I need to get my home inspected?
7. What about financing?
8. Can my family help me buy the home?
9. Am I limited to how much I may pay for a home?
10. How do I make the mortgage payments?
11. What do I pay for?
12. Are there ongoing requirements?
13. Will I still have to have a re-certification meeting each year, even after I purchase the home?
14. Are there any time limits?
15. Can I purchase another home?
16. Will purchasing a home make me ineligible for other assistance programs such as food stamps, Medicaid and Medicare?
17. What if I have trouble maintaining my home or paying my mortgage?
18. What if I get terminated from the program?